My days at the hospital are about half way over, I have three weeks left to learn as much as possible. Over the last few days, my patients have taught me so much. I have learned the importance of being assertive with patients when they need it (like with the old guys who dont feel like washing up for breakfast:) ). I have also learned that soemtimes the best medicine is a listening ear. Talking with patients that are close to death was intimidating at first. What was I supposed to say to them? I learned however, that they sometimes just need to talk- talk about their life, their love, and their accomplishments. I felt very sober that afternoon, it made me very thankful for my family's good health- particularily my grandparents. We have had a few patients pass away during my time there, as well as some that are just waiting for their time to come. There are happy moments as well though. One of my patients was able to go home to her husband and puppy after being on antibiotics for an illness that she had. Watching her face when her husband came to take her home was definately one of my highlights. She was so excited that she, at 83, could go back home to care for her husband for a while longer. With the many medications as well as the many conversations, I have greatly benefitted from this rotation.
As for my new job, it is going well. It is good to get my mind off the hospital and focus on something else. For now I am just working front desk at a hotel and will take on a lifeguarding job come May. I am hoping to make enough money to pay for third year college without taking out student loans. So there is my update for the last few weeks. TTFN
Best of luck during this new adventure!
ReplyDeleteLove and prayers,
Whit