Sunday, April 4, 2010

another day on 5 north...

For the last couple weeks I have been on the same floor, doing the same thing and getting familiar with the routine on 5 North. Last week however, I was able to do a few new and exciting things. I took out my patients sutures out of his arm (after the RN tried and failed- I felt pretty good). I got to spend a day in outpatients; watching scopes, watching minor day surguries, etc. I also helped out with a lady who had her leg amputated- its amazing the alterations one has to make for their care! I got to watch the RN literattly "crank" the sutures on this one guys abdominal wound- that was neat. He had a big wound in his gut and had clasps holding it together, every 2nd day the clasps were cranked together another notch- boy did he jump! (I sure as heck would too). I helped give tub baths, transfer totally dependent patients and gave alot of needles. I also made this one lady laugh- it was hilarious! This one patient is a total care patient and she basically lies in bed all day- doesnt talk and only responds in mumbles to her husband. Well the one day I was helping one of my friends transfer this lady and my friend (Lindsay) wasnt sure if she would be strong enough, well after the transfer, Lindsay says "cool, I guess I was strong enough" I looked at her and said " well smell isnt everything Lindsay"- well this patient just burst out laughing! It was awesome!! she got the joke even before lindsay did- he he!! Well that is all for now I guess- I saw alot of gross things this week, but will leave that for some other time.

1 comment:

  1. What part of the hospital is this? In Medicine Hat it's the psychward part. Lol. Glad you can throw some jokes in there. :)

    ReplyDelete