Wednesday, March 3, 2010
Call bells and Med runs
Well the first three 12 hour shifts are behind me and were very fun. Lots of learning involved. I got to push IV meds, do total care for a patient, helped out with the rest of the patients, and spent some time with the physiotherapist. My fellow nursing students have decided to take the stairs and avoid the elevator... and we are on the fifth floor! So the first day my legs were on fire! However, I should be in some sort of shape by the end of my time there:) Most of my day is spent answering the many call bells, there are those few residents that hold the call bell in their hands and push it just because. So the first day I was answering a certain call bell from one of the patients. She was a little old lady who ALWAYS had to pee... however, almost everytime I got her up and on the toilet she got what I call "pee anxiety". So I would put her back to bed and two seconds later she would ring that she had to pee again. So five times later... she actually went:) However,from previous experience, I have learned, though they may ring all the time, you NEVER ignore a pee call!! So it kept me busy anyway. So in the next few shifts I hope to learn alot more and have alot of fun! TTFN
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Yay! First to comment! At first glance I thought that said cow bells! haha I was wondering what Miranda was up to with cow bells but it wasn't. Glad to hear your having fun.
ReplyDeleteI was thinking that too Carissa! Cow bells?? Haha I could just hear how noisy that hospital would be. Happy to know that you're enjoying it! Miss you
ReplyDeleteI Love how you guys thought it was cow bells!! It made me laugh as i instantly had a mental image of these residents in the hospital wearing cow bells to prevent their escape! Ha ha ha, made my day girls- thanks:)
ReplyDeleteSounds like fun! I'm glad to see you are enjoying your time there. I think God has definitely called you to this position.
ReplyDelete