Saturday, September 4, 2010

Oh the many hats we wear


The many hats we wear symbolises the many different identities or jobs that one person may have at one time in their life.
To elaborate, during the week, I wear my nursing hat. I am involved with my practicum a couple days a week at the hospital where I, as a student nurse, am giving care to those who have just come out of surgery. Next week however, I place my nursing hat aside and place my learning cap on. Next week I am purely student as I observe and learn in the operating room, recovery room, emergency room and ICU. When I don't have a nursing or student hat on, I more then likely have my lifeguard hat on. When I have spare time I will usually try to make some money at my part time job as a lifeguard/swim instructor. In addition to the mentioned three hats, I am always wearing my wife hat which is a series of hats all combined in one- I like to think of it as a multi brimmed hat. In my wife role- I am also a cook, janitor, seamstress, grocery buyer, laundry-doer and listener/advice giver etc. etc:).
Now in today's day and busy timetable, I often wear a couple hats at once- which would look odd, should I actually be wearing hats. I like to imagine a nursing hat like one of those little nursing caps from the 80's movies. My student hat would be a helmet to handle the stressful times and it would also have a drink holder to supply me with my regular drinks of caffeine. My lifeguard hat would be a visor-type-strap-hat with a HUGE sign on it saying WALK!! Yes THE FLOOR IS SLIPPERY!!! My wife hat of course would be a huge hat containing pockets to help me store my many lists, knick knacks and little gadgets to assist me with my everyday activities. It may also contain a handout to give random people who continue to ask if my hair is naturally curly!
Occasionally I wear many of my hats at once- and given the description of the hats so far- wearing more then one might get silly looking. I find switching hats in my head allows me to maintain what little sanity I have left. I know there are many hats I haven't mentioned- but really- you can only go so long in one blog entry!
Well as i continue to press forward in my many roles, I am excited to add on storyteller to the list as I start another new practicum to provide stories of immense hilarity.

3 comments:

  1. Quite the impressive rant, my dear! My 2 and a half week old 'wife' hat is being well worn, but the student hat seems to be getting in my way :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha. I love this post Miranda. So true. And then when you have children you will wear many many MORE hats and you would look even more ridiculous if those hats were actual hats being worn. This is why God made us women. We have the ability to multi-task.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that they should make lifeguard hats that say WALK...along with many other different sayings such as NO DIVING! Yes the water is shallow!

    ReplyDelete